Build a paper-toy Komodo competition
At Komodo we love our paper-toys - they're cool and kids love making them. There's a maths angle too - in seeing how a 2D plan folds into a 3D shape. Now we've taken this to a new level, thanks to Niall our very own paper-toy master craftsman. We've made a Komodo paper-toy and we're asking you to build it and enter our competition.
Update: The official competition has now closed, but you can still print out and build your own Komodo (parents, this could make for a fun wet day activity!).
We'd love to see what you make and what your Komodo gets up to, so post your photos and tell us a little about your Komodo on our Facebook page or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We've tried to make the paper-toy super easy to build, and our test builders, aged 9 and 7, managed okay - with a little grown up help. The amount of grown up help, of course, depends on age and how "crafty" your child is in cutting and sticking the model - a good look at the Komodo photos before making helps.
Here are the instructions:
- Print the paper-toy in colour onto A4 sized stiffish paper, 200g paper is ideal
- Cut out the body parts and accessories - making sure you also cut out the many glue flaps
- Starting with the bigger body parts, fold all flaps first then glue - we found Pritt stick to be ideal
- The arms and tail are double-sided - so need to be stuck together
- We've numbered where to stick the arms, tail and legs
- You can choose a tongue - hey you could even design your own!
Here's the Komodo paper-toy:
Here's the 2 page PDF to download.
Some Komodos are so shy they only come out at night under cover of thick ivy leaves - see the photo above.
Some have very particular tastes - this one only feasts on fresh passion fruit flowers:
Some are quite cheeky and are often caught raiding the fruit bowl:
The Competition is to build your Komodo paper-toy and photograph it in its natural habitat. Please tell us a little bit about it if you wish!
You can enter the competition by adding your Komodo paper-toy photo to our Facebook page.
- Please add your child's first name and age
- A little story is most welcome
- Or you can email it to us - hi [at] komodomath.com - and we'll add it to this blog post ( Note that we'll only refer to your child's first name and age )
- The competition will be judged by Niall - our paper-toy master craftsman
- The competition will end at midnight on Tuesday September 30th
- It's open to all children - whether you're a current Komodo subscriber or not
A copy of the wonderful "Papertoy Monsters Book" will be sent to the best two entries in each age ranges:
- Age 6 and below
- Aged 7 & 8
- Aged 9 to 11
If you have any questions please comment below or on our facebook page
Good Luck Everyone!
About Komodo - Komodo is a fun and effective way to boost primary maths skills. Designed for 5 to 11 year olds to use in the home, Komodo uses a little and often approach to learning maths (15 minutes, three to five times per week) that fits into the busy routine. Komodo users develop fluency and confidence in maths - without keeping them at the screen for long.