The Number Bond Challenge - Make Addition and Subtraction Number Bonds to 10 Easy!
Parents know that confidence in maths opens a world of opportunities to children. With your encouragement and some great resources - that's where we come in - you can help your child along the path towards reaching their true mathematical potential.
The Number Bond Challenge is a 5 Step practice activity for children aged 5 to 7. It will help your child understand and become fluent in the important Key Stage 1 maths skill "Addition and Subtraction number bonds (or number facts ) to 10".
We've made it fun to use and there's a certificate for each child who completes the challenge.
Child ready? Let's begin!
Not ready? No problem, simply bookmark this page or click here to send an email reminder
This video explains what Number Bonds are using the "Whole and Parts idea"
Most skills develop through practice - and maths is no exception to this. The number bond challenge makes this practice effective and fun.
It's beneficial for learners to be able to recall their addition and subtraction number bonds to ten fluently - this frees up working memory for problem solving and higher order analytic thinking. It also introduces the strategy of breaking numbers into parts in order to simplify operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
The Number Bond Challenge is essentially a number bond question generator for class and individual practice.
There are 5 steps:
- Choose your Bond family - children may need to be prompted to come back here to choose another bond family after completing the first one!
- Break into Parts - this allows children to "Chop" the number into the available parts. You'll see that we haven't included zero as a part. Also note the sentence below indicating how many breaks you've made.
- Whole and Parts - a familiar model from "Singapore Maths"
- Practise the Number Bonds - generates the relevant bonds for each "break". Simply click on the place holders to answer each question. The bonds are complete learners will see a link to "Make a New Break" which prompts them to break the number into different parts.
When learner the has practised all the number bonds to 10 - the bond family chooser (Step 1) will display a "completed tick" for each bond family:
Step 5, The Number Bonds Quiz
Our Kickstart Maths Quiz System requires registration with a parent's email address. This is so that we can email you your child's report and certificate privately.
1) Choose your Bond Family
and when you're ready:
5) Take the Number Bonds to 10 Quiz
Great! You're now ready to take the Number Bonds to 10 Quiz!
To begin the quiz, you'll need your parent to register - this is because we email your certificate to them and let them know how well you have done.
Well done for taking the Number Bond Challenge! If you didn't do as well as you'd like, don't worry. Just come back, do a little more practice and take the quiz again.
About Komodo - Komodo is a fun and effective way to boost primary maths skills. Designed for 5 to 11 year olds to use in the home, Komodo uses a little and often approach to learning maths (10 minutes, 3 to 5 times per week) that fits into the busy routine. Komodo users develop fluency and confidence in maths - without keeping them at the screen for long.